2nd Good Experience


Planning My Own Wedding

I dated my husband for 3 ½ years before we were married. We knew we wanted to get married when we decided to date, because that’s how it worked when you were a couple working as teenage youth leaders in youth ministry together. We met when I was 15, and we’ve been together ever since. After we moved to Northwest University together, we were supposed to get engaged. I knew I wanted to get married in the month of March, because that’s the same month as spring break, and it’s also the best month to go to Disneyland. Well, I waited and waited for him to propose. We went on fancy dates to Disney on Ice and to swing dance classes and to Downtown Seattle at twilight. Each time I thought he would propose, but he didn’t. Time was escaping me. I knew I wanted to get married in March, but with it already the end of November, I didn’t think I would have much time to plan a wedding, and if not we’d have to get married in summer, such a busy time for weddings and honeymooners on vacation, or wait another year. Finally, the day before Thanksgiving Break, he proposed. And it was then that I started planning my own wedding on our own budget without the help of a coordinator on a three month time limit.
Planning my own wedding was hard, but I knew no one else could do it. The day I got engaged, I called my friends and asked if they would be bridesmaids. I picked our colors, pink and blue, colors that have always been significant to us. I also called my friend Jill to do our engagement photos that very weekend when we went home to Yakima for Thanksgiving break. We went home that weekend and took the photos at the local arboretum in the snow, and I digitally edited them that day. I ordered save-the-date refrigerator magnets with our engagement photos on them that week, set for Saturday, March 5th, 2011, the Saturday at the beginning of spring break the next year. I sent them out over Christmas break so that our family members would know such a soon date.
From then on it was a whirlwind of going home and coming back to Seattle and ordering stuff online. I spent hours of my time in the dorms and the dorm lounge registering for gifts online at Target, Macy’s, and Sears. We also applied for a FIR apartment that December, so that I could stay there by myself until March 5th, and my husband could move in after we got married. Just three weeks into engagement I ordered invitations so that they would be delivered to me over Christmas break and sent out by the end of January. I also had my wedding dress picked out from an overseas tailor-made dress boutique, the perfect one. It had a poufy princess skirt, lacy tiers, a bow, a lace keyhole back, sequins, and no train. I never went dress shopping; I just took my measurements in my dorm room, typed them into the form online, and ordered my dress for the same price my grandma paid for her wedding dress back in 1956. We traveled to several different wedding venues and churches over Christmas break looking for the perfect one. Finally we found a perfect church in our home neighborhood that didn’t have a rental fee. It was meant to be. My wedding dress came the first week of school in January, when I was homeless staying as a guest in the dorms waiting for my FIR apartment to open up. I tried on my wedding dress in the dorm and walked down the hallway and all my previous floor-mates helped. It made me feel good knowing that they were there for me
I ordered lace gloves, shoes, and bridesmaids’ dresses. I set up bridal showers for my family, my home church in Yakima, and for my bridesmaids. I planned our Disney Fairytale Honeymoon vacation and bought airline tickets. I set up our wedding website where people could RSVP online, view our engagement photos, and browse our wedding registries. We picked our caterer, the Ellensburg Pasta Company, a company of one of my bridesmaids’ family friend. My soon-to-be mother-in-law had a friend and previous coworker who owns a cake decorating shop, and she volunteered to do our wedding cake for free, along with small individual table cakes for each guest table. I asked my friend Kaci who is a photographer if she would shoot our wedding. We asked our friend, Jack, who was my husband’s 80-something year old spiritual mentor, to officiate our wedding and give us premarital counseling. I also met a new friend, Josh, in my speech class, whose wife was a florist, so we asked her to do our flowers.
I was home in Yakima every two weeks for a shower or for catering tasting or counseling or something. When we had the guest list worked out, people RSVP’ed, the food, the venue, the cake, the photographer, the Officiant, the honeymoon, the clothing, the rehearsal dinner, the decorations, the rings, the flowers, I knew that I had nothing else to do. Of course, I was planning up until the morning of, and it was very hectic, but I knew there had to be a stopping point. I don’t really remember much about the wedding other than getting ready before, pacing in the church hallway, getting walked down the aisle, being photographed, and running around the reception room making sure things were done. My wedding was pretty, and our honeymoon was the more fun that I could have imagined! We’d never been on vacation by ourselves before. Overall, I am proud of planning my own wedding. No one else could have made it how I liked it but me and my husband. It was stressful, but very worth it.

One of our engagement photos
Trying on my dress in the Dorms
Honeymoon Photo



No comments:

Post a Comment