Past, Purpose, & Passions



1. Tell us about your Past.
My name is Bryttani Lee Ann Marking. Bryttani means "hails from Britain," although I am actually German, Mexican, and Scottish/Russian. Marking is so rare that no one really knows the meaning or origin, but it is said to mean "war-like" after the god of Mars. Giles, my married last name, unusually pronounced with a "j" sound, means young goat. I am the second oldest of 4, with an older sister, and a younger sister and brother. I also have 2 brother-in-laws that I get along with well. I came to NU because I knew about it through my AG church in my home of Yakima, WA. We had many alumni there. I am a transfer student from Central Washington University where I thought that I was going to major in Social Science. However, I took a lot of religion courses there that year for my "Basic and Breadth," and when I came to NU I thought I wanted to study Religion and Philosophy, and Dr. Hobson told me that he could invent a minor for me in Media Technology. Over my first year, I lost my taste with the religion and writing classes, and tried to focus more on Media, and NU doesn't have a Computer or Art program, so I decided to Major and Concentrate in the Media Studies program in Communication. I love media because I love using graphic design and visual communication for Ministry, which is my husband and my future goal.

2. Tell us about your Passions.
My number one passion is being with my husband. If there was a 6th Love Language or sub-language of Quality Time, it would be "Proximity" for me; I don't like being not near him. My other passions are cooking and baking, it is a lot of fun for me, I love making my husband happy with food and creating new things and making recipes better and more tasty. I also art. I am good at painting, but I love using my computer to create graphic design, which is what I want to do in ministry. I also love my pet bunny Walter, who is my favorite type of bunny, the smallest kind (2-3 pounds), and my favorite color, black and orange spotted. He makes me happy when my husband is gone. I also love Disneyland. It was a favorite vacation spot as a child, and my husband and I went there for our honeymoon and 1st anniversary. In high school, I wanted to join the Disney College Program, where you "study abroad" at Disneyland. I still want to, but probably can't now. In high school, I won awards for Outstanding Student in Art, Spanish 1, 2, and 3, English, and Bible. I was also picked for Senior Best Smile and Most Artistic. In college I made the CWU dean's list and was picked for the CWU dean's and trustees scholarship award. At NU I made the dean's list, honor roll, and got the NU Success Award. I also got a scholarshipped position on the Talon as web designer. My other scholarship awards include the Passport to College Promise Scholar Award, the Orphan Foundation of America award, the Education and Training Voucher, the Academic Competitiveness award, and the Leadership 1000 benefactorship award. I also was awarded FosterClub Outstanding Young Leader in 2010 and 2012, one of 4 in Washington state in 2010 and one of 2 in 2012.

3. Tell us about your Purpose.
My future plans are to be in ministry with my husband. We are in youth ministry now, but eventually hope to go into evangelism. I want to do media for all of that. I currently am finishing my practicum doing media at the church. I might even want to go into church communication consulting, possibly. Future goals are to the travel the country with my husband where he speaks to thousands, and I would like to make so much money that I can start a scholarship foundation of my own, found a school, and an orphanage. That would make me feel good.